Sometimes you just need a dish that's a little fancy.


Before I got married, my mother and grandmother took me to a Viking cooking class.  We had a fabulous time learning new ways to cook things {and of course critiquing the instructor behind her back.}  For dessert we made fruit tarts, which were fabulous, and afterwards my grandmother gave me a set of small tart pans!  Every time I open the pantry, those tart pans look up at me, begging to be used.  And I finally had inspiration for a non-dessert tart.  Because heck, who doesn't love individually sized foods? {Insert how awesome the mac & cheese cupcakes were because of their handheld-ness} 


Say hello to my inspiration: roasted garlic.  Ohmygosh y'all, if you haven't roasted garlic and smothered it on anything {bread, pasta, your hand...} you are missing out.  Roasting takes that acidic bite out of the garlic and replaces it with a depth and creaminess.  Plus, it alleviates the intense whoa-girl garlic breath that comes from eating fresh garlic {which I do all.the.time. Mr. S&S is too lucky}.


While that garlic {why do I want to say gar-leek? zoolander?} was roasting, I rolled out some pie crust {store-bought. I am afraid/see no need to make my own} and used the tart pan to cut out circles of crust.  Too cute.


Then I added in some roasted corn {that began life as frozen corn.  or at least it's life in this house}, tomatoes, basil, and goat cheese.  Because I've decided that goat cheese should be added to EVERYTHING.  Five out of the last six meals I've eaten have included goat cheese.  Including breakfast.  I might have a problem.  And then I baked the tarts.  And then became frustrated that I had rolled out the cute cross-dough too thick, so I turned it on broil.  And forgot about them for 90 seconds. Too long, broil wins.  This shall explain the over-brownedness of the cross pieces.  Oops.


Don't be like me.  Roll out your cross dough thinly.  And never let broil have it's way with your foods.

Roasted Garlic, Corn & Tomato Tarts
Make 4 small tarts

1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 head of garlic
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons goat cheese
1 pie crust

Preheat the oven to 375, slice the top off of your head of garlic, and wrap it in aluminum foil.  Pop it in the oven for 25 minutes.  Meanwhile, roll out your pie dough and cut out four circles to fit small tart pans {or other small baking dishes- not everyone's Grandma is as cool as mine}.  Add the basil, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese to the halved tomatoes and mix.  Then spread the corn out on a baking sheet and set it under the broiler for about 10 minutes, or until corn begins to brown {the garlic is happy sitting under broil too.}  Once the garlic and corn are finished, add the corn to the tomato mixture, pull the garlic cloves from the head, chop a bit, and add them to the mixture as well.  Divide the mixture evenly into your four pans, then top with the remaining goat cheese.  Add extra pieces of dough on top if you're feeling exciting.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is slightly brown.


Hot crossed tarts.  Delicious and nutritious!


Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Search This Blog