In my dreams {probably other people's nightmares}, there are two of me.  The first me goes to work, works her heart out with kiddos, and then comes home and collapses {um, hey current life}. Meanwhile the second me is at home, cooking, cleaning, and exercising {basically living the life that pinterest insists I have}.  When me one gets home, me two takes over, all nurturing-like, and makes her a lovely, wholesome snack and then a beautiful dinner.  Probably something like this:


Also in this dream, I have Carrie Underwood's legs {and voice}.  I'm also best friends with her.


But when reality strikes and I realize that I'm just the one me, I breathe a little sigh {that apparently has penetrated Moose's subconscious, because he's starting to sigh just like me.  whoa, weird}, foist my tired little self off the couch and make something awesome.  Because it's just not worth it to eat blah food.  And doesn't the sight of this cheer you up a little?


Eventually, I get carried away in grilling avocados {heck yes, it's a thing!} and the intoxicatingly simple aroma of garlic sauteed in olive oil.  Making flavorful, comforting food is my therapy.

And in case I get invited to an impromptu get together with friends, I lay it all out as an appetizer like this:


But with a side salad and nice glass of wine, me two promises that this will be entirely restoring.

Shrimp Stuffed Avocados
Serves 2

2 ripe avocados, sliced in half
1 lb shrimp, shells taken off and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons red onion, minced
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste

Heat both a grill pan (or real grill) and cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.  When the grill pan is hot, place the avocado halves open side down on the pan- press down and let grill for about 5 minutes, checking intermittently.  When the avocados are getting warm and have distinct grill lines, remove from heat.

Meanwhile, saute the garlic and red onion in a bit of olive oil in the cast iron skillet.  When they become fragrant, add in the shrimp and cherry tomatoes.  Saute until the shrimp just turn pink, then remove from heat and place in the divot of the avocados, allowing shrimp to spill over onto the plate as well.  Squeeze a generous amount of lime juice and sprinkle salt over top.  Serve warm with a side salad or veggie!

The appetizer version:
Shrimp and Avocado Appetizer
Serves 4 in appetizer portions

1/2 lb shrimp, shells off and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice of 1 lime

Slice an avocado into long, slender pieces and place onto a large serving plate.  Squeeze lime juice onto the slices.  Evenly distribute the cherry tomatoes over the avocado.  Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat, and in 1 tablespoon olive oil, saute the shrimp pieces.  Once the shrimp turn pink, remove the skillet from heat and allow shrimp to cool for a few minutes before adding to the top of the avocado-tomato mixture.  Squeeze the rest of the lime juice over the whole thing and refrigerate until you serve.  Great eaten with tortilla chips!


Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Search This Blog